Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

My mother loved yellow flowers. She loved the color yellow, period. Every Mother's Day, I sent her a bouquet of them. Such a sunny color for a sweet yet troubled soul as my mom.

Mom passed away a year-and-a-half ago. She was a beautiful woman who had lived a harsh life. My mom and I didn't always get along, and she wasn't my "best friend" as some daughters describe their own mothers, but she had a good heart. She was a dreamer and loved to write poetry.

Perhaps, despite our differences, I received my gift of prose from my mom. Because before I wrote novels and short stories, I wrote poetry, and maybe I should go back to that venture, because beautiful poetry can transcend into beautiful novels.

Here's the first poem I ever remember writing, at the tender age of about six or seven (I can't remember how old I was, but I remember the poem):

Together we can conquer the unconquerable.
Tall buildings, mountains, and skyscrapers will fall to our mercy.
But why destroy such beauty?
As long as we have each other, that is all that matters.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom. I know you're in a better place, and I'll see you again someday. I love you.

7 comments: